The Q&A Archives: fungus on holly

Question: my hollies have a black powdery substance on them; leaves are now starting to dye. what do i treat it with?

Answer: There are a number of different diseases that can affect holly, and sometimes winter damage can also cause foliage symptoms the following spring. I would suggest you work with your local county extension to determine what is causing the problem(s) and then knowing that, determine how to proceed. If it is something that requires a chemical control they will have the most up to date recommendations on what to use and how/when is best to apply it. They may appreciate a photo of the overall plant as well as closeups of the affected leaves, and/or a freshly cut twig and foliage sample enclosed in a clear plastic bag -- and kept cool so it stays fresh -- to look at. I hope it is nothing too serious.