The Q&A Archives: shrubs in front of house

Question: I would like to plant some low flowering shrubs in the front of my house. The area is about 15' in length. My front windows are low to the ground so I don't want the shrubs to grow much higher than about 2 to 2 1/2 feet high. I would love to put something that has some color. Any suggestions.

Answer: There are many shrubs you could use. Your selection will depend on the growing conditions where you are planting -- is it sunny, for how long and at what time of day, is it exposed to strong winds, is the soil extra wet or dry or average there, is the soil heavy clay or sandy, and so on, in addition to the space available. You might want to think about whether you prefer evergreens or a flowering deciduous shrub, or a shrub with colored foliage or with great fall color or berries in winter, or looks more formal or informal. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to help you analyze the growing conditions and select plants that would thrive there and also meet your design goals. Good luck with your new shrubs!