The Q&A Archives: Ground heating

Question: I just bought a few of the Blue Dracaena's and read that they can't survive below thirty degrees. I was wandering if I need to put a ground heating system and is that enough? What about the leaves? Will they survive the cold. What do I have to do to keep the whole plant alive and looking good? What heating methods are best? Thankyou Scott

Answer: To be honest with you, I've successfully grown dracaena's in my own Port Orchard garden for about 3 years - without doing anything special at all. Of course your garden may have colder spots than mine so there's no guarantee that yours will do as well. My best advice is to keep your dracaena's in pots and sink the pots into the garden. In the fall, when the temperatures cool, move the pots to a frost free area of the garden (near the foundation of your house under an overhanging eave, for instance), or take the plants indoors for the winter. This will ensure that both the roots and the tops remain alive over the winter months. Heating cables may keep the soil from freezing but you'd still need to protect the tops from freeze so the best approach is to take them indoors. Best wishes with your new plants!