The Q&A Archives: forced growth suggestion

Question: I planted five Mandarin Honeysuckle two years ago that are from Monrovia. I have planted these along a chain link fence that gets full sun from November through May and then get indirect bright sun due to shading. The plants are all flourishing at the tops and are spreading this way. I am training them down and horizontally along the fence. I would like to know about getting more new growth and blooms from the lower plant. Some of the existing plants are blooming new growth from the

Answer: These will naturally grow upward and climb the fence, then grow and cascade along it horizontally once they reach the top. In a few years they will probably cover most of the fence without doing any special pruning. To encourage growth lower on the plant you would need to cut it back very hard, then trim it periodically as it regrows to encourage it to branch closer to the ground. Since you have five, you might try cutting two of them off very short and leave three to look nice this season, then cut the other three back next winter. I hope this helps.