The Q&A Archives: How to plant 'Little Spire' Russian Sage

Question: I recently purchased 'Little Spire' Russian sage. When they arrived, they resembled a bare (no leaves), small tree. The branches had small white spots (buds ??) along them. The white spots protrude slightly and are soft to the touch. I planted the sage (in April) with the branches above the soil. It's been several weeks, and I haven't seen any greening or signs of growth. About how long should it take to see growth? Are those white spots the buds--that is, should I look for growth from them?

Answer: You received a dormant bare root plant, the soft spots protruding would be buds, yes. Russan sage or perovskia normally comes into growth in late spring, so be patient yet. It needs to begin rooting and establishing before the top growth will start. Often a new plant will be a bit late to begin growing compared to established plants, too. The foliage is silvery so you would not see greening. Enjoy your Russian sage!