The Q&A Archives: Brown Canadian Peat Moss

Question: I have Take All Patch in my San augustine lawn. I have been told to rake it and apply 2

Answer: Millie,

First let me provide some clarification on terminology. Sphagnum moss is harvested from the top layer of peat bogs in northern locations such as Canada. It consists of long light colored strands and is not decomposed. Sphagnum moss is popular for lining hanging baskets. Sphagnum peat moss is harvested from lower levels in the bog and is a finer textured material that is partially decomposed. It is typically ground up into a finer textured medium and compressed tightly into rectangular plastic covered bales. The term "brown canadian peat moss" is most likely just another term for sphagnum peat moss.

If you are topdressing a lawn to deter Take All Patch you want to use the ground product called sphagnum peat moss. Take the compressed product and break it up into a light fluffy material. Then spread it at a rate of one 3.8 cu ft bale per 1,000 square feet of lawn area. A little thicker if fine, but the 2" rate you were advised to use is way too deep. Dump small piles of the loosened product around the lawn. A standard garden soil rake (not a leaf rake) can be turned upside down and used in a motion similar to playing shuffleboard to spread the piles around evenly. One bale will cover 1,000 square feet about 1/3 inch thick which is just about right. After spreading the moss water it in well.

For more info on using peat moss to manage Take All Patch in lawns see the following web site: