The Q&A Archives: rhododendron

Question: I planted 3 rhododendrons and the leaves on two of them are turning yellowish. All 3 are in the same area and planted at the same time. How can I prevent them from turning yellow/dying? The tag on them says Rhododendron SP one pink and one purple. Thanks for your help. cathy

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain why they are yellowing. It could be due to overwatering, make sure the soil is just damp and not saturated. (To know if you need to water, dig into the soil with your finger. If it still feels damp, don't water yet.) It might be due to poor rooting, perhaps due to poor planting methods (such as planting too deeply) or overfertilizing. It might be due to unsuitable soil, for instance the soil may not drain well or the pH may not be acidic enough. I would suggest you consult with your retailer for assistance, especially if there is a warranty on the plants. I'm sorry you are having trouble with them.