The Q&A Archives: violas

Question: I live in Amarillo, TX and I have two varieties of violas and they get sun about half the day but they are very pale in color the leaves and the flowers. What causes this?

Answer: Kristen,

Violas love the cool season and really struggle with the arrival of heat, eventually dying by summertime. Pale color now may be a sign of this problem or could also be due to wet soil conditions that are excluding oxygen from the roots. A very high pH may also be causing some loss of green leaf color if the most affected leaves are the youngest leaves out near the end of a shoot. Maintain moderate soil moisture and iron supplements can alleviate the iron deficiency. Next year prior to planting add a 2" layer of peat moss or compost to the soil.