The Q&A Archives: Mango tree fruit.

Question: Dear Monrovia Tree Expert nurseries: I got few mongos on my tree. The mangos still on the tree. they are bigger them a fist, should I take it down from the tree? (They are still green.) If I take it down from the tree, how can I make it ripe? Please help! Thank you!

Answer: Don't pick your mangoes until they are ripe. Mangoes normally reach maturity in 4 to 5 months from flowering. When the mango is fully-grown and ready for picking, the stem will snap easily with a slight pull. If a strong pull is necessary, the fruit is still somewhat immature and should not be harvested. In the more or less red types of mangoes, an additional indication of maturity is the development of a purplish-red blush at the base of the fruit.