The Q&A Archives: Indoor Caladium Plant

Question: I received a Caladium as a gift around a year ago. The plant was doing very well and producing lots of leaves. Eventually the leaves started dying down and now there is nothing. I have read some other FAQ's that mention the Caladium goes dormant into a bulb and will start growing leaves again. Can you please let me know what I should do with them at this point? Should I remove the bulbs from the soil, or do I leave them alone? Should I be watering the bulbs? Thank you!

Answer: Caladium does need a dormancy period where the bulbs dry out and rest. When the leaves wither down you can carefully cut them off and then set the pot in a cool, dry area. It isn't necessary to water the pots during the resting period. In 3-4 months you can begin watering the pots and a few weeks after that the bulbs will sprout new leaves. Enjoy your plants!