The Q&A Archives: what's wrong with my tree

Question: My tree has what looks like oil on it . There are little black dots on it .What can i do?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description of the problem I am not able to tell you what is wrong with your tree. I would suggest you contact your county extension for a specific diagnosis. Based on knowing that, together you can determine how to proceed. If it is something that requires a chemical treatment, they will have the most up to date recommendations on what to use and how/when is best to use it. They may appreciate a photo of the overall tree along closeups of the discoloration and dots, and possibly a freshly cut sample -- kept cool and enclosed in a clear plastic bag. I hope it is nothing too serious and I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you long distance.