The Q&A Archives: Holes in planting beds

Question: I have newly mulched my front shrub beds. 10 days later, the beds have small pencil size holes that appear in late afternoon.This could be a coincidence. I was told that they could be cut worms and told to spray with Sevin, which I did. No help. The holes still appear . Any clue? Thanks for any suggestions.

Answer: Small holes can be caused by many different things such as birds looking for worms or insects, skunks digging for the same (at night), or possibly ground wasps or bees or some sort of beetle being active in the heat of day when the soil is warmer. None of these would require treatment in a shrub border. Cut worms would not harm shrubs, either. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you but unless you see damage happening to your plants, it shouldn't be cause for concern.