The Q&A Archives: Fire Ants In my Rose Garden

Question: I have a Fire Ant hill in my Rose garden.What can
I use that wont hurt my Roses?I have one more question.My mom got me a Joseph Coat rose for my
birthday I just got home it hasnt been put in the ground yet should I leave it in the container I'm treating it with ortho rose pride.I dont want to plant it with my others and they catch it.Thax

Answer: Aleah,

There are many things that you can use on fire ants that won't harm your roses. In fact I can't think of a fire ant product that will hurt roses. A good start might be to use Amdro in the general area and the foraging workers will pick it up and carry it back to the mound.

Regarding the Joseph's Coat, I'm not sure what you are worried about the other roses catching. I would plant it as most all rose diseases are so ubiquitous that one rose is not going to really affect another. The rose needs to get in asap anyway as summer is coming and planting later is more of a risk.