The Q&A Archives: planting trees and shrubs on or near septic and drainfield

Question: The front yard is the only place we have to plant, which is also where the septic and drainfield are also located. We received some trees and shrubs from the arborday foundation(blue spruces, dogwoods, golden rain trees, crabapples, washington hawthornes, red buds, rose of sharon, red maples, and north privet shrubs)

Answer: Unfortunately, it is never recommended that you plant trees or shrubs over a septic drainfield or close to its edges. The roots will potentially follow the moisture and enter the pipes and clog and destroy the system. A failed drainfield is very expensive to replace. Perhaps you have a gardening friend, a park or a school or church where you could plant them instead of at home. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.