The Q&A Archives: Variegated winter daphne

Question: What would it mean if my three plants are now have leaves turning yellow? I planted them in February and until now they were growing and looked healthier. Too much water?? I have a sprinkler system and it is on 15 minutes on even days. they actually looked better before my new system.

Answer: Vanessa,

Too much water prevents roots from getting oxygen and they die. Yellowing of the foliage can follow such stressful conditions. You'll have to dig down a few inches to feel the soil to determine if it is soggy or just moist. Yellow leaves may also be due to a lack of nitrogen fertilizer. It is also rather normal for some evergreens to turn their older leaves yellow before the drop in the spring. Usually this us a little earlier and somewhat coincides with the onset of new growth.