The Q&A Archives: What type of plant should I buy?

Question: I have a spot in my back yard where I need some screeing from the house behind me. The area I need to cover is about 8 feet wide by 6 feet high, but I could go a little higher if necessary. The area gets a little sun but is mostly shaded. The soil is not great, but we have planted viburnum, lilac, kousa dogwood and maple trees with success. The area we are looking to fill gets less sun than the area where the items listed above are palnted. We are looking for something else for this area. If it flowers, that would be an added bonus. Any suggestions?

Answer: You might try yews or possibly a larger growing rhododendron, or possibly one of the semi-evergreen viburnums which are a bit more shade tolerant. Another option might be Fothergilla, a lovely shrub for a shady site. Your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension might have different suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions and your overall design goals.