The Q&A Archives: bigger roses

Question: When I bought some hybred tea roses the flower on it was so big and beautiful.When I planted it in a 5 gallon pot and now the flowers that are blooming are not as big as they were when I bought them why and what can I do toto get them back?

Answer: Diane,

It may be that when the flowers were larger there were fewer of them in relation to plant size, thus more energy to produce a larger bloom. Your shrub may need to be pruned and fertilized to encourage more vigor. Being in a larger container will also help as the roots have likely filled the container and thus a lack of soil volume is limiting growth and vigor. Finally make sure the rose is in full sun. It takes a lot of sun to keep roses happy and at their productive best.