The Q&A Archives: Pruning weigela

Question: Hi.... I have a very misshapen Varigated Weigela. It has become very scrawny and strange looking! It is about 5 feet tall. I would like to cut it way down and 'start over'. How close to the ground can I cut it? Can I cut all the branches down that low or just some of them? When do I do this and what is the best fertilizer for weigelias? thanks, Dorian

Answer: Weigelas bloom on new wood so pruning in early spring will encourage the development of healthy new wood. You can cut some of the oldest branches down to the ground and reduce the size of other. I wouldn't prune the entire shrub all the way down to the ground or it will take all spring and summer to recover and you may not get any flowers at all. If it is hopelessly overgrown, plan on taking 2-3 years to renovate your shrub. Weigela will be happy with an annual application of any balanced garden ferilizer (10-10-10 or 20-20-20). Enjoy your garden!