The Q&A Archives: variety of seed used for blue grass sod

Question: I just had 6000 s/f of sod laid by a local contractor. I live in mid-state NJ. The sod was grown locally. There seems to be an over auldance of seed heads coming up. They look like crab grass to me but the sod farm is telling me that they used a blend that includes a "Julia" type Kentucy Bluegrass and that in early spring it throws up a seed head. They tell me once it's cut I will be ery pleased. I tried searching the internet but have not been successful in finding any details about 'Julia" type bluegrass although I have found that there is such a type. I am concerned that someone is blowing smoke at me and that I actually have crab grass and not blue grass in the sod. What can you tell me and what would you do if you had my concern.

Answer: Since you are in disagreement with your sod supplier, I would suggest you work with your local county extension to identify the grasses in the mix and whether or not the sod is performing as would be expected. It is just not possible to identify or evaluate lawn grasses long distance. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.