The Q&A Archives: What tree is this??

Question: I recently saw a flowering tree beside a City street. It appears to be small to medium in size, accent size, with flowers hanging down that look like small bunches of grapes. The flowers are a bright reddish purple (kind of purplish fushia). It has been flowering for the past month and still blooming. Can you tell me the name of this tree???

Answer: I'm afraid the tree could be any one of a hundred different varieties and probably the best way for you to positively identify it is to visit local nurseries and look for the same tree. In the meantime, here are a few possibilities:
Giant Red Ixora (Ixora chinensis) with large clusters of small red flowers; Okame Cherry, an upright oval-growing tree, deep green leaves, pink drooping flower clusters; Pink Princess (euodia elleryana), an unusual regal-looking tree possessing great beauty. It has very lustrous bright green leaves. Produces an abundance of pink-red flowers that stay on the branches for many weeks.

Best wishes in your search!