The Q&A Archives: What type of vine would work best on a light pole?

Question: I know there are some vines that are better suited for arbors or trellis'but I am looking for one for a light pole,full sun,approx.6ft. Would a bittersweet vine(I understand I need male and female)work? Thanks!!!

Answer: I think a bittersweet vine might very quickly outgrow a six foot post and would look a bit unkempt. You might want to try smaller annual vines such as morning glories or moon flower vine, cypress vine or even purple hyacinth bean. Another possibility might be to grow a clematis vine or possibly train a rose on it. Your local professional nursery staff may have other suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions where the pole is located and your overall design goals. In the meantime I hope this gives you some ideas.