The Q&A Archives: transplanting

Question: I have some tulips in my yard that I would like to transplant. I also have a shrub that need transplanting. How do I go about doing this and when is the best time to do it? Also, I have a shady spot in my back yard and am not sure what kind of shrubs and perennials are good for shade. Can you help me?? Thank you

Answer: Tulips can be transplanted ince the foliage has died back and the bulbs have gone dormant. You can dig them up and replant them then.

Most shrubs would be best moved in either very early spring as soon as the soil can be dug or in early fall at least ten weeks before the first frost. Water well the day before, dig with as much of the root system as possible, and replant immediately at the same depth as it grew before. Large shrubs are difficult to transplant because their root systems are proportionately large and very heavy. (The roots generally spread out wider than the branches.) If you have time, you could root prune it the year ahead of the move to concentrate roots closer to the base of the shrub.

Many plants grow well in shade. Some perennials to consider would include pulmonaria, lamium, hosta, ferns, and lily of the valley. Some shrubs to consider would include Fothergilla, Azaleas and Rhododendrons, and Hydrangeas. Your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension should be able to help you identify plants that would do especially well for you depending on the amount of shade and time of day, whether it is windy or not, and how damp or dry the soil is in that spot.

If you can limit your questions to one per form, we will be able to give you more thorough answers. Thanks!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"