The Q&A Archives: Tree Care Remedies

Question: How do I reduce/remove brown spots on a 3 year old Fat Albert Spruce and Dwarf Alberta Spruce. This is the first time both have shown brown edges on their needles and I don't know how I should care for them. Other than that both appear to be very healthy. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain what has happened to your trees. There are a number of disease problems that can affect these trees, and there are abiotic causes for browning as well such as salt damage, winter sun scald damage, and so on. I would suggest you consult with a professionally trained nurseryman or arborist with experience in ornamental trees. They may appreciate a photo of the overall tree as well as closeups of the discoloration, and possibly a freshly cut sample kept cool and enclosed in a clear plastic bag. I am sorry you are having trouble with your trees.