The Q&A Archives: Aunt Dee Wisteria

Question: My question is this.Can a Wisteria, such as the Aunt Dee be planted in a large pot rather than right in the soil. will it survive or do you recomend that it be put right in the ground. I bought this at my local garden center but no one could answer my qustion.It did not come with planing intructions I hope that you can help me .

Thank you for your time,

Martha Cruz

Answer: Wisteria macrostachya 'Aunt Dee' is hardy to Zone 4 (-20? to -30? F). This is a vigorously growing plant and will develop an extensive root zone if planted in the ground. While you may be able to keep it in a large container for a few years, you'll end up having to move it up to larger and larger containers as it matures. It's possible, but will be labor intensive. If you decide to grow it in a container, you'll want to protect the roots during the winter months by insulating them against the cold. Roots in the ground have soil to protect them but roots in a container will be more exposed to the elements. You can wrap the container with sheets of insulation and then cover the insulation with plastic to keep it from getting wet. Don't wrap the entire container with plastic, just the insulation. Wisterias should be planted in ordinary, but well-draining garden soil, and at the same level as it was growing in the nursery container. (If you look carefully you should be able to see where the soil level was on the main stem of the plant.) After planting, water it well to help settle the soil. Hope this information helps you decide whether to plant your wisteria in the ground or in a container.