The Q&A Archives: Acer Negundo - Flamingo

Question: This is a follow-up to a question I asked a few days ago. I purchased an acer negundo (Flamingo) and wanted to know if it is as bad as the original cultivar. The answer was helpful but I have a follow-up question. Could you tell me what would be the expected life-span for this tree? I am hoping it will mature with a substantial sturdy trunk and be able to live a long time.

Answer: I looked through a few books ( Dirr, Manual of Hardy Trees and Shrubs, Van Gelderen - Maples of the world) and neither refer to the lifespan of Acer negundo 'Flamingo'. Dirr does mention the fact that the parent species, Acer negundo (parent of Flamingo cultivar) is one of the best maples at surviving adverse conditions. Since Acer negundo 'Flamingo' is a relatively new cultivar, the lifespan prediction will be just that - a prediction, but I would expect it to live 30-40 years.