The Q&A Archives: deer resistant plantings

Question: I want to fill urns but need something deer resistant. I need color or something eye catching.

Answer: First, the disclaimer - a hungry deer will eat most anything! With that said, Buxus is generally not bothered by deer, but a hungry deer may well munch on it. Buxus 'Green Velvet' is my favorite. It grows thick and dense, with a rich green color. It has a rounded shape if unsheared and grows 3'-4' tall and wide, making it perfect for a low hedge. Other perennials for you to consider include Yarrow, Aquilegia formosa (western columbine), Asarum (wild ginger), Heuchera (coral bells), Lilium humboldtii (Humbolt lily), Mimulus (monkey flower), Romney coulteri (Matillija poppy), and Hosta. Deer won't bother heather, heavenly bamboo or Vinca - at least the deer population in my garden don't touch them. Best wishes with your landscape!