The Q&A Archives: Best Choice for Hedge

Question: What would you recommend for a privacy hedge? This would be replacing 10' arbor vitae which have died. I do not want any more arbor vitae.

These need to be thick, evergreen, fast gowing and easy to prune with hedge clippers. What would be the approximate number to cover about 80' along the street and what would the approximate cost per plant be? I also need to know how to protect them from deer until they are big enough.

Thank you,

Carol Compton

Thank you,

Answer: Some of my favorite hedging plants include Escallonia, Spirea, Photinia,
Viburnum and Pieris. all take well to pruning and all will tolerate browsing from deer. Spacing depends upon which shrub you choose - 4 to 6' apart will create a dense privacy hedge. They all need full sunshine and well draining soil. I can't provide a cost but your local nursery can. Best wishes with your new hedge!