The Q&A Archives: cement fountain with fish

Question: I have a cement fountain that is a mermaid I would like to use it in my fish pond do I have to do anything to it before I put it in with the fish? thank you

Answer: If it is brand new, make sure it is fully cured and hardened before you place it in the water. If not, the water may damage it and in the process it may leach an excessive amount of lime into the water. Also, just as a new concrete sidewalk can leach, this may just leach a bit initially. The leachate is somewhat caustic (like the cement) and also very alkaline due to the lime. This could potentially have an adverse effect on the quality of the pond water. So it is a good idea to allow it to weather before setting it in the pond. The rainier the weather during this time, the better. You could speed the process by rinsing it with water from the garden hose repeatedly over a week or two. If it sat outside all winter and has already weathered, it should be fine. Enjoy your new fountain!