The Q&A Archives: Care/Protection of Frazer's Photinia from Black Spot

Question: I just bought several (Monrovia) Frazer's Photinias with which I will be creating a highly visible hedge. I was cautioned/warned about photinia 'black spot'. What can I do in terms of care and preventive maintenance to prevent black spot on my photinias?

Answer: Photinia is subject to black spot, especially if the leaves are wet overnight. Try to water the soil rather than the foliage (knowing that you can't control the rainfall) to avoid the spread of the disease. Daconil or Funginex are registered for use in Washington to protect newly unfurling foliage (apply according to label directions). Or, you can prune your plants in early spring, just as new growth begins. This will remove the old spotted leaves and, since the beauty of this shrub is in the bright red new growth, will encourage lots of healthy new growth. Best wishes with your photinias!