The Q&A Archives: Japanese Blueberry

Question: Last week I purchased a Japanese Blueberry tree and planted it in the courtyard of our house. Since planting it, many of the leaves have turned red and fallen off. It even looks like some of the new growth is turning red before it even matures. My wife and I are concerned we are either over watering or under watering the tree. Since neither of us have planted a tree before, we don't know what to do.

Answer: A newly transplanted tree is likely to go through some stress until the roots become established. You can help lessen the shock by watering deeply once each week and then exercising some patience until it perks back up again. If it drops leaves, they will be replaced as soon as the tree becomes accustomed to its place in the garden. Hope you dug a basin or watering well beneath the tree after you planted it; if not, you can do that now; if so, fill the basin with water, allow it to drain then fill it a second time. Once each week should be enough to deeply soak the soil around the tree roots. Best wishes with our Japanese Blueberry tree!