The Q&A Archives: Lady Baltimore Hibiscus

Question: ALL 6 of my Lady Baltimore bushes seem to be dead. They have bloomed beautifully every year for the past few years, but not this season. We had a Japenese Beetle problem last year, but they continued to bloom into the early fall. We cut them back in the winter and they just seem to all be dead. Im terribly disapointed because these are my

Answer: I can't believe you've lost all six of your plants! How disappointing! I wonder if maybe they aren't dead, but are just slow in beginning their spring growth? I'd wait a little longer before giving up on them. In general, Hibiscus 'Lady Baltimore' needs rich soils, consistant moisture and full sun, with plenty of room between plants to promote good air circulation. It isn't unusual for the tops of these perennial plants to die down during the winter months. The best way to treat 'Lady Baltimore' is to cut back the stems to about 3-4 inches in in the fall and then mulch over the plants during winter to protect roots from frost. Once new growth begins in spring you can pinch out the stem tips to promote multi-branched (bushier) growth. Aside from watering regularly all season long and pinching out the tips of the stems during the springtime, there's not much else to do but sit back and enjoy your hibiscus.