The Q&A Archives: Yucca

Question: Some of the stems on my yucca plant have gone all brown and slushy in the middle. I've cut them off but there is still some left in the big base trunk and they look rotten. I've had this plant for 15 years. Is there anything I can do to save it?

Answer: What you describe sounds like a fungal disease called Fusarium stem rot (Fusarium spp.) It typically begins when water accumulates in the center of the plant either from rainfall or from overhead watering. Once the rot begins, it's almost impossible to control. You can try to clean the mushy tissues out of the center of the plant and then drench it with fungicide. It may help - but then again, your plant may be too far gone to recover. I hope your plant recovers!