The Q&A Archives: Problem with Skip Laurels

Question: I recently purchased Skip Laurels - Schipkaensis Laurels (Monrovia brand) and the look like they aren?t doing well at all. They have been in about a month and they have yellow leaves, brown leaves and dried out leaves. I have taken pictures but I cannot attach them to this E-mail. Is there a way I can?
My question is what is wrong with the shrubs? A disease, not enough water, too much water?? I did dig a hole at the end of one of them and I did not notice water, just moist soil as expected. When I did plant them I did add some Pete moss to the hole, a handful or 2, but that was about it.
The area is shady, and does get light in the morning. I just can figure out what seems to be the problem.

Answer: Based on your description, I am not certain what is happening to your Skip Laurels. These symptoms can be related to cultural conditions or possibly to a disease problem. These plants are very sensitive to poorly drained soil and also to being planted too deeply and foliage discoloration can be a sign of that. Either under or overwatering can cause foliage problems, but there are some diseases which can cause foliage issues as well. I would suggest you consult with your retailer and/or your local county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis of the problem(s) and based on knowing that, determine how to proceed. If it is something that requires a chemical control, your county extension will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when is best to apply it. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you long distance.