The Q&A Archives: Green spots on Burgandy Bauer's Dracaena

Question: I just bought a Burgandy Bauer's Dracaena and I have not touched it other than placing it in a sunny spot in my back yard. I noticed that the nursery had it pretty wet, but it developed green spots on the leaves within a few days of purchase. What is this, some sort of mold and what should I do? If you cut off the leaves it makes a gap in the branching, right?

Answer: I wouldn't cut the leaves off - the plant won't look very attractive! Green spots could indicate insect feeding (look on the underside of the leaf), or it might even have been caused by a water drop on a leaf in full sunshine (burned tissues). Dracaena is generally disease free, but the right conditions could expose it to bacterial or fungal infections. It's also possible that the leaves were damaged while in the nursery or in transit. I'd watch the plant carefully. If the spotting spreads to other leaves, you may want to have the plant replaced (check with your nursery for their policy). Best wishes with your garden!