The Q&A Archives: Bermuda grass/Crab Grass in my Flower Beds

Question: I have a terrible issue with Bermuda grass and Crab Grass in my flower bed. I pull the grass that I find almost each and every day and I swear I go to bed and they pop up again. I pull them all the way to the roots. Is there something that I can treat my beds with that will help prevent grass and not hurt my bulbs and roses?

Answer: Crabgrass is really difficult to control in flower beds (as you've discovered). The first plan of attack is to pull the weeds, including the roots; the second is to lay a thick mulch over the bed to prevent sunlight from penetrating (weed barrier or several thicknesses of newspapers plus decorative bark or rock); the third option is to use a herbicide and spot treat the pesky weeds. You can use something like Round-Up near your roses and bulbs if you're careful not to allow over-spray to drift onto them. Best wishes with your project!