The Q&A Archives: Crimson queen

Question: I purchased a Crimson Queen Japanese Maple from a local nursery. The tag on it says 3.6 gal. Can you tell me how old the tree is and what size container should I pot it up to. It is my intention to keep it in a container. By the is beautiful !!

Answer: Your Crimson Queen is probably only 3-4 years of age. If you intend to keep it in a container, simply plan on bumping it up to the next size every year or two. You'll know it's becoming uncomfortable when roots begin to escape from the drainage holes. You can do a little root pruning when you repot (simply cut about an inch of the root mass all the way around, plus the bottom. The pot it up in the next sized pot (i.e.5-gallon, then 7, then 9...), using fresh potting soil. Best wishes with your beautiful new tree!