The Q&A Archives: Clematis x 'Ramona' from Monrovia lacking pruning info on tag

Question: I bought a Clematis x 'Ramona' 3 years ago, and still have the original tag from Monrovia. Although it shows Care Instuctions, those are generic, and I don't know which pruning group this is in. I originally thought it died shortly after purchase when we had extraordinarily heavy rains, but have seen it pop up each year, though it never bloomed, so I couldn't deduce from bloom time what group it's in. This March I transplanted it to an arbor (part sun, with 10-10-10 mixed into soil. Please give me guidance about which pruning group it's in, so I can treat it properly and HOPEFULLY get it to flower again.

Answer: Suzanne,

Ramona is a summer blooming clematis. Therefore it should be pruned in early spring as the buds swell. For the first 2 or 3 years, cut to within 6 - 12 inches of the soil line (or to 2 or 3 buds). Older plants are cut to 2 feet tall (or less).