The Q&A Archives: Fruitless Weeping Mulberry Tree

Question: I purchased a Fruitless Weeping Mulberry tree. I planted it last sping. I was told that it would flower just as a regular Weeping Mulberry. It did not last year and does not appear that it will be this year either(although we are having a slow spring). I ask another Garden Center about it and they say that the fruitless will not flower. which one is correct? will the tree ever flower?

Answer: The fruitless mulberries do flower in the spring but the flowers are like green catkins, very small and not very noticeable. The flowers are similar between the different mulberries -- Morus alba, M. nigra, and M. rubrum. So even in full bloom you would not see a display the way you would on, for example, a flowering crab apple tree.