The Q&A Archives: kwanzan flowering cherry tree

Question: I have a Kwanzan flowering cherry tree I planted last year when I planted it it was full of flowers this year it is not flowering it has leaves but no flowers it gets plenty of sun and has alot of room to grow why wont it flower

Answer: There are several possible reasons why it might not bloom well for you. One is that you are gardening in zone 5A, the coldest part of zone 5. Depending on your microclimate it may actually be as cold as zone 4. This is the edge of hardiness for the tree and so winter cold and/or wind exposure may have damaged the flower buds and prevented them from opening. Also, a new tree will take several years to become fully rooted and established and bloom its best. So it is possible the tree is not yet strong enough in its new location to have the energy to bloom. Since it has leaves and sounds as though it is doing well, you might wait and see how it does next spring.