The Q&A Archives: Heliconias

Question: I just purchased heliconias (unknown type) online. When I receive, how do I take care of them? I live in New York City. Being a tropical plant, can it strive during the winter months indoors? During the summer months, can I have them on my terrace, which gets full sun and some wind? Thanks.

Answer: There are many different kinds of Heliconia and some prefer more direct light than others. They are tropicals and like warm temperatures (minimum of 60 degrees in winter, provide extra humidity when your heating system is running) and high humidity, as well as rich soil that is kept slightly moist, never saturated and never dried out. If your terrace is windy it may be too drying for this plant, although the summer humidity outdoors would be perfect. Perhaps yours will come with additional care instructions, or information as to which kind it is. Good luck!