The Q&A Archives: Cambell Valencia Orange tree

Question: My husband bought me cambell valencia orange tree from the nursery down the road here and once he got home I noticed that this thing will get 20-25 feet tall. He was thinking it was one of the ones you grow inside. I am in northeastern ohio and I was wondering if I planted it outside during summer would it be okay during the winter or what do I need to do so that it survives. Thanks

Answer: Unfortunately, there is no way you could possibly hope to overwinter a citrus tree outside in Ohio and expect it to survive. You will have to keep it as a container plant and bring it indoors each fall and overwinter it inside.

I hope the label actually reads Citrus sinensis `Dwarf Campbell.` If so, your tree is a smaller growing variety suitable for container growing. It should ultimately reach a size of about 8 to 12 feet -- unless you keep it smaller by pruning.

If it is not a dwarf form, perhaps the nursery would exchange it for another variety better suited to container use. Good luck with your orange tree!