The Q&A Archives: Is Asclepsias A Biennial

Question: I planted asclepias twice last year; one plant that I started from seed indoors, and another packet of seeds. They were planted in a west facing bed up against the house, where they get sun after 1:00pm. They were planted between a daylily and the downspout splashblock. Although they all grew, they did not get very tall and none of them bloomed. Should I expect them to come back this year? Should they have bloomed the first year?

Answer: Asclepsias is a perennial. Lots of perennials (especially those started from seed) do not bloom the first year. They spend the first season establishing a good root system and making a home for themselves before they bloom. Asclepsias are also late tobreak dormancy, so give it a little time this season. Asclepsias like full sun and well drained soil, they are drought tolerant. They should come back this year and will most likely bloom.