The Q&A Archives: Totato Cages

Question: Tomato cages in the catalogs are expensive. Do you know of any thing else that is fairly cheap and will do the same good job?

Answer: I've stopped using tomato cages myself. Now I stake my tomatoes. There are lots of ways to do this; my method is as follows: When I transplant the seedlings into the garden, I drive a sturdy 6' wooden stake next to the plant--about 6" away from the stem so I don't damage the roots. As the plants grow, I prune off any small side branches, so I have one single, strong stem. I gently tie this stem to the stake every foot or so with strips of cloth.<br><br>Another way to do this is to drive 44-foot stakes into the ground around the seedling, about 10" from it. Wrap strong twine around the outside of the stakes, anchoring it at each stake by wrapping it tightly or stapling. Then you get the same effect as a tomato cage, at a lower cost.