The Q&A Archives: Trumpet vine

Question: Last year I planted a trumpet vine. It looked healthy although the top growth did not develop much, which I expected as I assumed it was establishing its roots. This spring, no top growth occurred at all. I thought the plant was a goner, but now shoots have appeared at the base. I have since read that it is not unusual for trumpet vine to die back during the winter. My question is, is there something I can do to prevent this dieback? I want the trumpet vine to cover a fence, but if it has to start from scratch each year, I doubt this will ever happen. Thanks!

Answer: Trumpet vines are rampant growers once established so you might be surprised how quickly it covers your fence. It won't always die completely down to ground level - as the vines mature and become woody, they won't be quite so tender and probably won't die all the way down to the ground each winter. Give your plant a few years to mature and I think you'll be very pleased with the way it behaves. Enjoy!