The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea's pale green leaves

Question: I have a container with a blue hydrangea and one with a pink hydrangea. I have many flowers, but the leaves are such a pale green. These are the Endless Summer variety. What can I do to bring the deep green back into the leaves?
Thank you,

Answer: Plants growing in containers typically need to be watered more frequently which can leach minerals from the soil. To counteract this, you can feed more often. To keep from over-fertilizing (which can burn the roots and result in excessive foliage growth at the expense of flowering), feed every 2-3 weeks with a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer (I use Miracle Gro). Feeding this often will supply a constant source of nutrients to your hydrangea without the concern of burning it. Best wishes with your hydrangeas!