The Q&A Archives: Growing Carpet Rose Indoors

Question: I have a yellow flower carpet rose and it looks like it is dying. How can I go about reviving it? Should I trim off the dead blooms and maybe plant it outside in full sun because it is still in the pot inside in a window with full sun.

Answer: Carpet roses really need all day sunshine which is difficult to provide if you're growing it indoors. I'd cut off the dead blossoms and then trim the ends of the stems to encourage new growth. Take it outdoors where it will enjoy the sunshine, but move it gradually so it doesn't burn. Start by setting it out in a shady area for about a week, then move it to a spot where it will get a few hours of morning sun; move it to increasingly more hours of sunshine and then either plant it in the ground in full sun or keep it in a container and give it 6-8 hours of full sunshine each day. Best wishes with your carpet rose!