The Q&A Archives: Mexican Bush Sage 'Santa Barbara'

Question: What do I need to do when the leaves on my Mexican Bush Sage is turning yellow and shriveling up? I have not had one of these plants before and would appreciate any advice.

Answer: Your plant is Salvia leucantha, and will grow 3'-4' feet tall with graceful, arching stems and grayinsh green foliage. It will produce long velvety purple spikes set with small white flowers throughout the summer and fall. Your Mexican Bush Sage needs full sunshine and a well-draining soil. If the leaves are yellow, it's probably getting too much water (or the soil remained soggy over the winter months). I'd cut back the affected stems and water carefully by deeply soaking the plant only once each week. Hope your plant recovers!