The Q&A Archives: Agapanthus

Question: Hi, I live in Boston where I just purchased one of your Blue Storm Agapanthus. The person at Mahoney's said it would bloom all Summer. When I got it home, I read that it is a Spring bloomer. Please help since these are not cheap and I want blooms all during the Summer season. Also, how do I treat it during our severe wintes here? Bring it inside? let i go dormant? David in Boston

Answer: Unfortunately, although it is a terrific plant, I don't think "Blue Storm" will do what you need. When grown outdoors where it is winter hardy (zones 8 to 11, such as Florida) this plant blooms in the spring. This particular species of Agapanthus, A. praecox, is a spring bloomer; most of the A. africanus varieties are summer bloomers. Agapanthus blooms for a long period but I would not expect it to bloom for the entire season. If you need summer bloom all season long in blue, you might try a blue flowered annual instead, perhaps a blue Salvia. I hope this helps.