The Q&A Archives: How do I get rid of spider mites on an areka palm

Question: How do I get rid of spider mites on my areka palm

Answer: Spider mites can be controlled using commercially formulated insecticidal soap per the label directions. Be sure to spray all surfaces of the plant from top to bottom and repeat as indicated on the label. Keep a sharp eye on the plant and repeat if they reoccur. It is better to treat early than to wait until the problem is serious.

Raising the humidity level around the plant can also help, you can do this by using a humidifier or setting the pot on a tray of pebbles and water. Fill a shallow tray with pebbles, set the pot on the pebbles, then add water to the tray until it is just below the top of the pebbles. Add more water as it evaporates.

Finally, a weekly rinse with tepid water (if it's not too big to manage, in the shower or under a hand held sprayer) can help keep them from returning once you don't see them any more. Good luck with your palm!