The Q&A Archives: What is the best pine tree for my area.

Question: What would the best pine be to plant in my area with a lot of clay in the soil? I was told a Austrian Pine, or Austrian White Pine would be the best to plant. The weather gets 120 in the summer and -10 sometimes in the winter. I would like a tree that needs very little water and grows good in full sun. Thanks

Answer: If a local full-service nursery gave you that advice, it's likely a good recommendation. They know what works in local microclimates. You might also check with your County Cooperative Extension office. They will have lists of plants that do best in their region. Look around your neighborhood and see what's performing well and what you like. Finally, it's a good idea to use native plants, if possible, as they have adapted to all the growning conditions you mention. Good luck with your trees.